Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dream on


When I was just starting out as a serious fiction writer, my daughter gave me a bookmark with this George Elliot quote on it:  “It's never too late to become what you might have been.” It meant the world to me.

What my daughter saw in me was the dreamer who was feeling a little defeated by time. She nurtured that dreamer with a simple gift and I will always be grateful.

So, hold on to your dreams, whether they are new ones or old friends. Continue to pursue them, knowing that they are possible at any age and nurture the dreams of others, especially the little children's.

Here’s a little practical advice for keeping your dreams alive:
  • Write your dreams down. 
  • Use sticky notes to post them all around your living space – mirrors are great. 
  • Journal about your aspirations. 
  • Talk about them to your treasured friends, but limit those conversations to people you know you can trust with your dreams. Don’t expose your dreams to naysayers – or as I like to call them Dreamstealers. 
  • Pick at least one small step you can take every day towards your dream.

Good luck, fellow dreamer!

No comments:

Post a Comment